Habibganj; suburban area in Bhopal City (Madhya Pradesh State) is witnessing major up-gradation nowadays. The renovation is historical step taken by Railway Ministry. The station was opened by Indian Railways in 1979. Railway Ministry decided to make Habibganj a world class transit hub through public-private partnership (PPP) model.
Lets us see some fascinating facts about upcoming Habibganj Railway Hub.
Timeline of ‘Project Habibganj’:
- The idea of world class station was initiated in 2010 by then Rail minister and now chief minister of West Bengal Smt. Mamata Banerjee.
- In 2015, Railway Minster Suresh Prabhu revitalized the idea.
- In 2016, Bansal Group; Bhopal based development authority won the bid to develop station.
- 8 year operations and maintenance rights were handed over to the development authority on 1st March 2017.
- The major development work is scheduled to be completed in next 3 years (by 2020).
The Development Work:
- The Development authority, Bansal Group has got 4 pieces of land for commercial development on the basis of 45 years lease contract.
- The development authority has decided to complete the project in 2 phases. In first phase 2 office-and-shopping complexes will be made. In second phase a five star and budget hotel and a multi-speciality hospital is planned.
- Bansal Group will invest Rs. 100 Crore in the Station development and Rs. 350 Crore in the creation of four commercial complex nearby station. The commercial complexes will have total area of more than 17200 sq. meters.
- The newly built avenue will be powered via Solar energy and it will have all facilities for Divyang people (People with different abilities)
Amenities to be made available at Station:
6 lifts, 2 underpasses for passengers, 11 escalators, Food Stalls, Retiring Rooms, Huge parking space for 300 four wheeler and 850 bikes.
See the animated video by the Railway Ministry
In spite of all this privatization, the railway activities (such as signalling, ticketing, scheduling of trains and cargo) will remain the government.
In line with Habibganj, Anand Vihar, Chandigarh, Gandhinagar, Surat, Mohali, Shivaji Nagar (Pune) and Brijwasan are about to witness the makeover soon. The documentation of their project work is in process.
Do you know?
The newly built Habibganj railway station can be evacuated in less than 4 minutes in case of emergency.